Thoughts, opinions, feelings, and experiences of the Steel Winged Butterfly.

What is posted on this page is life-as observed and lived. I write what I know and see. It is for no one individual. It is for every individual. I'm not here to change your mind. I'm here to put a mirror to your face so that you may see for yourself.



Please note that everything I write on this blog, unless otherwise cited, is MY OWN work. I give credit where credit is due, so I expect others to as well.

After all, if I had wanted others to plagiarize my thoughts and words, I would have just posted it in a facebook status update...

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Babička’s Backyard


Yellow daffodils and peppermint roses, sprinkler heads and garden hoses.
A greenhouse full of fragrant herbs used in the dishes my dear babička serves.
Stone-faced statues of angels and saints keep dutiful watch o’re the garden gates.
All is protected behind the ivy and morning glory veils as my babička’s skirt, this little girl trails.
A soft wind directs the wind chime symphony, while bullfrogs and song birds sing the harmony.
Baby girl and babička happily sing a melody that babička’s mother once used to sing.
Flower pots and potting soil, master gardener and miniature assistant loyal…
Neither flower nor vegetable plant will ever be left to wither or spoil…
Because here, no life is deemed not worth the toil.

For the “sake” of “Pete” we accomplish even the most difficult feats…
Without a whimper “for cryin out loud” the little girl makes her babička very proud.
With the laundry stately hung and the morning chores “all done” babička and the rascal watch Lucy reruns…
While babička takes her afternoon nap, rascal escapes from babička’s lap…
Heading straight for the cookie jar stash, rascal grabs one…or two…or three…in a dash, completely unaware that babička knows exactly where she’s at…
Sneakily climbing back into babička’s lap, rascal only realizes she’s caught when dear babička laughs…
Silly little girl, she baked them for you…brewing a pot of tea for the both of you too.
The afternoon too quickly comes and goes with the thick green grass tickling rascal’s little toes.
Shoes are not a requirement at babička’s house…unless, of course, mom and dad are around…
The sun goes down, and the Lawrence Welk show comes on… babička sings along with every single song. 
Sometimes I catch her eyes wandering to a different time…as though she’s watching her life on rewind.


What is this buzzing noise?!  And is that Juanes playing?!  ….*Sigh* It’s 5:30 am and my alarm clock is ringing….
I must have been dreaming…or just remembering while sleeping…
It was nice to think about my grandma though.  Love you and miss you babička.




No comments:

Post a Comment